God’s Family

1 Samuel 30-31; 1 Chronicles 10; Matthew 12 


“…‘Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?’” Pointing to his disciples, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.’”

Matthew 12:48-50


Jesus redefines family in his kingdom. Our entrance into this family is through Jesus the Son. He is the gate. Through Jesus we have relationship with our heavenly Father. It is those who do the Father’s will, not just have their sins forgiven or even know the Father’s will for their lives, but those who do the Father’s will, that Jesus calls family. In this family we have the opportunity to care for one another, and to support one another in living and following the will of our Father. This family crosses every culture and it is global. We have more in common with each other in this family than with our biological families. This new family of God is focused on the will of the Father and his kingdom mission.


Whose family are we a part of?


“Lord Jesus, thank you for calling me your brother. Father God, thank you for calling me your son. I will live for your glory and for your will in my life and in this world.”