The Lord Had Established Him

2 Samuel 4-5; Psalms 139; Matthew 16 

“David knew that the Lord had established him as king over Israel and had exalted his kingdom for the sake of his people Israel.” 2 Samuel 5:12

“…All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”

Psalm 139:16


“…I will build my church…I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven…”

Matthew 16:18, 19


When leaders know that God has established them in their leadership positions, they are much more secure and at peace with their assignment. Leaders like David, know their leadership is not self-serving, but for the betterment of their people. When leaders surrender their lives and their gifts to God’s plan and purposes, they find fulfillment and freedom in the knowledge that their leadership journey is not about them. They are building Christ’s church; they are walking in Christ’s authority. Jesus declares to leaders who lead in the way of David, “I will build my church.” Our responsibility is to serve Christ’s purposes with humility, under Christ’s authority.


“Lord Jesus, thank you for calling and establishing me in your kingdom. I am yours and all I have is yours. I renew my commitment today to serve with humility, your purposes and will.”