Our Refuge

 1 Kings 1; 1 Chronicles 28; Psalms. 91; 1 Thessalonians 5 

“Adonijah is afraid of King Solomon and is clinging to the horns of the altar.”

1 Kings 1:51


“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.’”

Psalm 91:1, 2


David learned to rest on the shadow of the Almighty. His son Adonijah was striving for position and power and found himself clinging to the horns of the altar pleading for his life. For some reason Adonijah never learned to say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.” Perhaps he trusted in his family name, or his handsome appearance, or his influence over people. In the end, not even religious symbols provided a good refuge for him. He found himself all alone. When we offer our lives to God, we place them on the altar of sacrifice, like living sacrifices, and God’s presence becomes our refuge.


“Lord Jesus, you are my refuge, my fortress, my God in who I trust this day.”