God’s Personal Strength

Isaiah 40-42; 1 Peter 3 


“‘So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand…For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear;  I will help you. Do not be afraid, O worm Jacob, O little Israel, for I myself will help you,’ declares the Lord.”

Isaiah 41:10, 13, 14

The promises of God to Joshua, to Hezekiah, and to others, were that his hand was upon them and they were not to fear, or be dismayed, or discouraged, for he would strengthen and help them. These promises are available to all of God’s people through his Spirit. We might be weak and seemingly insignificant and feel as small as a worm, but God takes us by the hand and pledges his strength and courage for us. We will never be alone. The choice is ours.

Do we want to live in independence from God, utilizing our own strength, or will we humble ourselves under the hand of God and rely on his strength, his courage, his love, and his mercy?

“Lord Jesus, you are my strength and my help each day. I humble myself under your mighty hand and trust you with all things, for your glory.”