A Strengthened Spirit

 Jeremiah 52; Revelations 1; Psalms 143, 144 

“…my spirit grows faint within me; my heart within me is dismayed…Answer me quickly, O Lord; my spirit fails…I have put my trust in you…to you I lift up my soul…I hide myself in you…may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”

Psalm 143:4, 7-10

Where do we go when our spirit feels faint within us, like lights that grow dim and begin flickering?

In David’s case it was his jealous father-in-law, Saul, who was hunting for him with the intent to kill him. While our circumstances might not be that extreme, God allows suffering in the lives of his children to develop perseverance, character, and hope, (Romans 5:1-5). David’s response was to call out to the Lord, and to worship and declare that God’s Spirit was his guide. When our spirit grows weak, we need the empowerment and strength of God’s Spirit. We access that strength through prayer, worship, and by simply asking God’s Spirit to fill and empower us. A strong spirit enabled David to face giants, foreign armies, and even family stress.

How strong is our spirit?

“Lord Jesus, you are mighty in spirit, and you are my example. Strengthen my spirit this day and help me find my hope, guidance, and direction in you.”