Do You Love Me?

Jeremiah 45-47; Psalms 105; John 21 


“When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?’ ‘Yes, Lord,’ he said, ‘you know that I love you.’ Jesus said, ‘Feed my lambs.’ Again Jesus said, ‘Simon son of John, do you truly love me?’…”

John 21:15, 16

Why did Jesus keep asking Simon if he loved him?

The first time was meant to gently expose Peter’s prideful declaration that even if every other disciple abandoned Jesus, he would not. Peter’s denial of Jesus three times is forgiven in this exchange with Jesus and he is both humbled and restored. In all three responses, Jesus called Peter to minister to others, “Feed my lambs [and]…sheep.” This, I believe, is the main point of Jesus’ questions to Peter. Ministry that is motivated by anything other than a deep love for Jesus is self-serving ministry. The greatest compassion for starving, dying, broken people, or lost sheep, if not motivated by the love of Jesus, is still a self-satisfying act of kindness. Christ’s question to Peter is his question to us, “Do you truly love me?”

“Lord Jesus, I love you. Fill me with your love so that I can love you and those around me, as you love.”