Motivation in Ministry

 2 Kings 23; 2 Chronicles 35; John 7 

“…My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me. If anyone who chooses to do God’s will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own. He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him.”

John 7:16-18

The motivation for ministry affects everything done in ministry. If ministry is about serving others or alleviating poverty or even working through our own pain in life, our ministry will at many levels be self-serving. We serve our agenda (even as it relates to poverty, human misery, or spiritual need), rather than the will of the Father. The will of God always involves surrender, death to self, and the pursuit of God’s glory, not our own. Jesus had his motives challenged and his authority challenged. 

Jesus response was to point to the Father. Are we able to do the same?

“Lord Jesus, you are my source, my motivation, and my glory. May your will be done in me today.”