Refuge and Rest

Isaiah 65-66; Psalms 62; John 3 


“Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge, Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.”

Psalm 62:5-8

What does it mean to make God our refuge?”

David declared that he had placed his hope in God; God had saved his life again and again. God protected him better than a towering fortress, so that he would not be shaken. When God is our refuge, we place our full trust in him and we pour out our hearts to him, so that whatever we are experiencing we process with God. When God is our refuge, he is our best friend, our confidante, and our counselor. The result of making God our refuge is that we experience rest in our soul. Our inner being is at peace. The wealthiest and best protected people in the world can’t find rest for their souls. Rest is found in a relationship of full surrender to God alone.

“Lord Jesus, you are my refuge and strength. Thank you for your peace and rest.”