Distractions and Focus

 Nehemiah 5-6; Psalms 146; Luke 24

“…‘Come let us meet together in one of the villages on the plain of Ono.’ But they were scheming to harm me…‘I am carrying on a great work project and cannot go down. Why should the work stop while I leave it and go down to you?’”

Nehemiah 6:2, 3

When the enemy can neither frighten nor intimidate us, he tries to distract us from the work projects and plans that God has for us. The distractions can appear harmless, even spiritual, but their intent is to harm the work of God. Nehemiah’s response was to focus on the project, not on himself…“Why should the work stop?” It’s the little distractions that keep us from doing the assignments God has for us of sharing the gospel, loving our neighbors, and praying. Nehemiah was a leader of the wall rebuilding project. The accountabilities for leaders regarding time were higher than for others. When we become distracted, all of those whom we are serving will pay a price. Nehemiah understood the consequences of his time management and the importance of focus. Jesus left us a great project of “making disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19).

Is anything distracting us from that call?

“Lord Jesus, I offer my time to you. Keep me from distractions and renew my focus on the assignments you have for me, for your glory.”