Prayer of Indifference/Contentment

 Ezra 9-10; Psalms 131; Luke 21 

“My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty. I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore.”

Psalm 131

Some have called this the prayer of contentment, or the prayer of indifference. In discerning God’s best for our lives and circumstances, it’s helpful to come to a place of full surrender of our will. Attitudes of pride, concerns, ambition, and desires interfere with our hearing the Spirit’s promptings and his still, small voice. In that place of inner surrender of our soul to God’s will and purposes, we find a place of expectant neutrality. We find that we are open to God’s counsel and direction, and we are willing and content to follow no matter which direction. The fruits of that indifference are hope, contentment, a quiet spirit, and humility. This place of inner freedom is life-giving.

“Lord Jesus, I surrender all to you again today. Your will, not mine, be done. I still and quiet my soul before you, and invite your peace and contentment to fill me, for your glory.”