“Stouthearted”

 Ezra 5-6; Psalms 138; Luke 16 

“I will bow down…and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word. When I called, you answered me, you made me bold and stouthearted…Though the Lord is on high, he looks upon the lowly, but the proud he knows from afar.”

Psalm 138:2, 3, 6

David’s strength came from the Lord. When David called on the Lord, God answered him and strengthened David’s heart. 

What does a strong heart, or a “stouthearted” person do to keep their heart (the sanctuary of our inner being) strong?

David testifies that they humble themselves before God in worship, they bow down, and they praise God. They value God’s name and his Word. Stouthearted servants of God call on the Lord; they are bold in their prayers. The stouthearted walk with humility before God and men; they understand that their strength comes from God’s grace and presence in their lives. In our weakness, God makes us strong.

“Lord Jesus, I humble myself before you. You are my strength and my life. You give me confidence and courage to obey your call and to walk in your way.”