The Hand of the Lord

Ezra 7- 8; Luke 20


“…The king had granted him everything he asked, for the hand of the Lord his God was on him…for the gracious hand of his God was on him…Because the hand of the Lord was on me. I took courage and gathered leading men from Israel to go up with me…Because the gracious hand of our God was on us…I proclaimed a fast, so that we might humble ourselves before our God…because we had told the king, ‘The gracious hand of our God is on everyone who looks to him…’”

Ezra 7:6, 9, 28; 8:18, 21, 22

Ezra’s faith in God’s hand on his life and on all those who humbled themselves before God inspired other leaders to follow him and become his testimony wherever he went. God’s hand of grace - or unmerited favor - released provision, protection, and empowerment for Ezra and his leadership team. Ezra didn’t take God’s gracious hand on his life for granted, but he learned to fast and pray and call others to fasting as a practical way to humble themselves before God.

Who wouldn’t benefit from God’s hand on their lives?

Even the king of Persia recognized the value of God’s hand on someone’s life and leadership.

“Lord Jesus, I humble myself under your mighty hand, that you might raise me up in due time.”