A Beautiful Thing

Psalms 125; Matthew 26-27 


“…a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table…‘Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me.’”

Matthew 26:7, 10

What beautiful, extravagant, generous thing have we done for Jesus lately that reflects our heart-filled worship and love?

Jesus declared this anointing with perfume was a preparation for his burial; the aroma on his clothes probably accompanied him to the cross. 

As we consider Christ’s body, the Church, are there ways we are being invited to pour out our love on this Body?

The sacrifice of worship by this woman attracted criticism. Not all agreed with her stewardship of resources. We can expect the same mixed response from those around us. 

Despite the potential for criticism, where is our love for Christ being expressed in open demonstrations of extravagant love and devotion? 

We have an audience of One.

“Lord Jesus, you are my first love and I give you all I have. I desire to worship you in ways that those around me will see and know you are my first love.”