Becoming Disciples of Christ

 Matthew 14-16 

“…Who do people say the Son of Man is?...Who do you say I am?...And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church…If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.”

Matthew 16:13, 15, 18, 24

This text is the heart of what it means to become a disciple, or apprentice of Jesus. Disciples must be able to both declare and know who the Messiah is. They must know Jesus, the Son of God and the resurrected Savior of the world. Disciples also must know who they are, and their new names, or callings, in Christ’s kingdom. This new identity in Christ’s kingdom must precede ministry leadership; otherwise, we will make names in ministry for ourselves and use people in the process. Finally, becoming a disciple of Christ includes death to self and the self life, as well as daily submission to the will and way of Jesus. We take up our cross and follow Jesus because he is now our life. This is how we become apprentices, or disciples, of Christ.

“Lord Jesus, you are my leader and I humble myself before you again this day. May your kingdom come and your will be done in my life, as it is in heaven.”