Humility

James 1-5 


“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom…‘God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.’ Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.”

James 3:13; 4:6, 7, 10

Humility is one of the evidences of wisdom in our lives. This practical wisdom acknowledges our need of others and of God. His undeserved favor rests on those who humble themselves before him. It is this experience of the presence of God in our lives which is practically expressed in resisting the devil in temptation, intercession, and spiritual attacks. Our spiritual authority is sourced in God and comes through humility and submission. Healing and forgiveness also require humility. We must acknowledge our need of God and of others.

How can we grow in humility?

We must do more than ask for it. We must speak it out: “Father God, I humble myself before you.”

 We must humbly declare our need before God and choose a relationship with him.

“Lord God Almighty, I humble myself before you and acknowledge my need of grace, forgiveness, healing, and wisdom. I resist the enemy and yield myself to you, for your glory.”