Remaining in Christ and Reaching the Nations

John 15-18 


“…while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful…Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me…apart from me you can do nothing.”

John 15:2, 4, 5

Sometimes we forget that the primary focus of our lives as disciples of Christ is to bring him glory by bearing fruit. The invitation to intimacy with Christ, to remain in him, is a much bigger outcome of fruit-bearing as his life flows through us. “The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Galatians 5:22, 23). The fruit of the presence of Jesus in our lives includes others coming to know and follow Christ through our witness and testimony. We make disciples of all nations as Jesus loves and reaches others through us. Remaining in Christ and reaching the nations with Jesus’ gospel are linked, just as loving Jesus and loving our neighbors.

“Lord Jesus, I love you and thank you for the reminder to remain in you this day. I ask that your Spirit would love others through me.”