Consecrated and Redeemed

Exodus 12-13; Ps 21; Acts 1 


“…Consecrate to me every firstborn male. The first offspring of every womb among the Israelites belongs to me, whether man or animal…you are to give over to the Lord the first offspring of every womb…Redeem every firstborn among your sons…When Pharaoh stubbornly refused to let us go, the Lord killed every firstborn in Egypt, both man and animal. This is why I sacrifice to the Lord the first male offspring of every womb and redeem each of my firstborn sons.”

Exodus 13:1, 12, 13, 15

God’s judgment of sin and rebellion cost every Egyptian household their firstborn male. While the Passover meal commemorates the exodus of Israel from Egypt, it is the consecration and redemption of their firstborn sons which reminds Israel of the price paid for sin. When Jesus, God’s chosen Passover Lamb, was consecrated and died on a cross, he redeemed all those who would enter covenant with God by paying our sin penalty. We renew and remember this covenant each time we take communion. We are the “Church of the firstborn” (Hebrews 12:23), and we, too, have been bought and redeemed with a price. 

When was the last time we thanked the Lord for the gift of redemption, or have consecrated our lives to him?

These form the roots of our understanding of words like “redemption” and “consecration” inherited through Christ. 

“Lord Jesus, I consecrate myself again to you and to your kingdom mission. Thank you for redeeming me so I, too, can enter covenant with you and your kingdom mission.”