Knowing God

Exodus 3-5; Luke 22 

“…God called to him from within the bush, ‘Moses! Moses!’…And Moses said, ‘Here I am.’…But Moses said to God, ‘Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh…?’ God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM…I AM has sent me to you…’ God also said to Moses, ‘Say to the Israelites, ‘The Lord, the God of your fathers – the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob - has sent me to you.’”

Exodus 3:4, 11, 14, 15 

Why didn’t Moses know God at the burning bush?

He had the stories of God’s covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, but Moses didn’t know God yet for himself. To be sent by God we must know God, not just know about him. When we know God, our questions change from “who am I?” to “who is God?”. We know ourselves in the light of who God is and what he does and what he is doing in history. Once we know who God is, through relationship and his Word to us, we understand what he does. It is then that we know who we have been created to be and what we have been called to do.

Do we know God, or just about God?

Fruitful living on mission with God requires that we know him.

“Lord Jesus, thank you for your revelation of who the Father is, and for your ongoing revelation to me through the Holy Spirit, so that I can join your mission, for your glory.”