Overcoming

Genesis 9-11; Luke 4 

“Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit…was led by the Spirit in the desert, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil…The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. And he said to him, ‘I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. So if you worship me, it will all be yours.”

Luke 4:1, 2, 5-7

The Father allowed his Son to be led by the Spirit into extensive testing by the devil, not to break him, but to forge a weapon. The sword of the Spirit is the Word of God. Jesus overcame each temptation by speaking the Word,  “It is written…”. Satan still offers authority and wealth to those who worship him, including those who are building religious empires; however, those who know God will resist the devil. Overcomers know their path is that of Jesus. We overcome by loving not our lives, even unto death. The reward for overcoming is given in the next life, not in this one. On the cross, Jesus made a public spectacle by defeating the devil, something overcomers will remember and follow.

“Lord Jesus, I seek first your kingdom and not my own, for your glory.”