The Stronghold of My Life

 Numbers 10-11; Psalms 2 7; Mark 1

“The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid? Wait for the lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.”

Psalm 27:1, 14

In our battle with fear, we might find ourselves “in the dark”, needing more information, or needing a rescue from an opponent too big for us. David’s exile from Saul’s court and his life as a fugitive meant he faced fear on a regular basis. David’s cave hideouts symbolized for him the deliverance of God. In the darkness, the presence of God was with David and a light for him. The anointing of the Spirit of God on David was his salvation. Walking with God was like living in an impenetrable stone fortress, or stronghold.

Did that mean victory and freedom came immediately?

David waited on God’s timing to ultimately deliver him from Saul’s jealous rage and murderous schemes. David pursued the presence of God rather than fighting his father-in-law because he trusted in God’s protection, provision, and purpose for his life.

What is our stronghold?

“Lord God, you are my stronghold and deliverer. My eyes are on you and my faith is in you.”