God Knows

Deuteronomy 30-31; Psalms 40; 1 Corinthians 1 


“When I have brought them into the land flowing with milk and honey…they will turn to other gods and worship them, rejecting me and breaking my covenant…I know what they are disposed to do, even before I bring them into the land I promised them on oath…The Lord gave this command to Joshua son of Nun: ‘Be strong and courageous, for you will bring the Israelites into the land…’”

Deuteronomy 31:20, 21, 23

God’s promises to us are stronger than our tendency toward sin, rebellion, and idolatry. God knew the hearts of his people, yet he remained faithful to his promises to them. Even as he predicted their future rejection, the Lord still spoke words of encouragement to Joshua to lead the people into the land. God calls us to trust him for strength and courage, even as we struggle with surrender and obedience to his Spirit and Word. Although God knows what we are disposed to do, he has redeemed us in Christ and calls us to live in covenant with him.

Today, will we receive new grace and courage to live for God and his mission?

“Lord God, you are faithful even when I feel faithless. Thank you for believing in me and empowering me to live for you, for your glory.”