Grateful to be Home

Deuteronomy 25-27; Galatians 5 


“Then you shall declare before the Lord your God: ‘My father was a wandering Aramean, and he went down into Egypt with a few people…But the Egyptians mistreated us and made us suffer…So the Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm…and now I bring the first fruits of the soil that you, O Lord, have given me.’”

Deuteronomy 26:5, 6, 8, 10

All of us are refugees, wandering through life until we find our home in God. This testimony of Israel’s history, which was to be recited before the Lord at the place of worship once Israel reached their promised land, was both remembering and giving grateful worship for God’s faithfulness. Once we were not a people, but now we, too, have become the people of God. The bondage of sin and death, like in Egypt, has been overcome by God’s mighty hand and plan of redemption in Christ.

 If that’s our story, are we remembering, and are we bringing our first fruits to God in thankful worship for all he has done for us?

“Lord Jesus, thank you for rescuing me, saving me, and welcoming me home with you.”