An Honorable and Audacious Prayer

1 Samuel 14; 1 Chronicles 4; 2 Corinthians 13

“Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, ’I gave birth to him in pain.’ Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory”! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.’ And God granted his request.”

1 Chronicles 4:9, 10

Jabez’ audacious prayer was that the blessing of God would replace the curse of sin in his life. Pain at childbirth was the curse of sin stemming back to the Garden of Eden. Jabez was named for that pain, yet he asked God for a different heritage, a better inheritance.

Will we cry out to God for the cycles of sin in our lives and families to be broken?

Will we cry out to God, in faith, for the enlargement of our territory or field of responsibility in the kingdom of God?

In Psalm 2:8, God invites us to ask him for nations as our inheritance.

Will we ask God for his gracious hand on our lives?

God’s hand of protection, provision, and guidance broke the curse of pain in Jabez’ life. God granted Jabez’ request and he desires to grant ours as well.

“Lord God, I humble myself under your mighty hand and ask you for your blessing, expanded territory, and hand of protection, for your glory.”