Refuge

1 Samuel 27; Psalms 141; 1 Chronicles 9; Matthew 10 

“But my eyes are fixed on you, O Sovereign Lord; in you I take refuge – do not give me over to death. Keep me safe from the snares they have laid for me, from the traps set by evildoers. Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I pass by in safety.”

Psalm 141:8-10

David believed that his primary place of safety was in God’s presence. It was God who ultimately controlled whether he lived or died.

Do we believe that?

If we do, how should that belief in God’s sovereignty and power affect how we live?

Who do we look to for protection, for wisdom, and for provision?

When we focus on the traps, snares, and nets, we get distracted and fearful. When we fix our eyes on the Lord, he exposes the schemes of the enemy and we are delivered. David caused much heartache and pain by relying on his own strategies when he detoured to Gath and Ziglag. Through this experience, David learned the presence of the Lord was better than the tents of the wicked. The safety and security we need are found in the Lord.

“Lord God, you are my safety, my deliverer, and my refuge. Deliver me from evil and glorify your name in my life this day.”