Our Refuge

2 Samuel 15-16; Psalms. 32; Matthew 25 


“I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord’ - and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Therefore let everyone who is godly pray to you while you may be found; surely when the mighty waters rise, they will not reach him. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.”

Psalm 32:5-7

Everyone needs a safe place, a place of refuge where they experience peace and rest in both body and spirit. David recognized that God’s presence was his hiding place. However, to experience refuge in God’s presence required confession of all transgressions and sins. The resulting inner peace and freedom from a guilty conscience was David’s refuge from trouble in the midst of rising “mighty waters”.

In what refuge are we seeking shelter?

For some, it is the temporary relief of entertainment, mind-numbing alcohol, or drugs. However, these false places of refuge do nothing for the inner battles for our thoughts. The Lord God alone has the authority to free us from our inner enemies. Only he can calm the storms. He is our hiding place.

“Lord Jesus, thank you for your inner peace and presence this day. You are my refuge.”