We Are a Sign to Many

2 Samuel 17; Psalms. 71; Matthew 26 


“I have become like a portent [sign] many, but you are my strong refuge. My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long. Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone. For my enemies speak against me; those who wait to kill me conspire together. They say, ‘God has forsaken him; pursue him and seize him, for no one will rescue him.’”

Psalm 71:7-11

David’s life was a sign to many that having a relationship with God was the best way to live. David struggled through temptation and the effects of sin in his family, while all Israel was watching.

Would the enemy finally triumph over David and prove his life a lie?

Would old age diminish David’s value to God and move him to the sidelines?

David’s enemies sensed he was vulnerable and were moving in to strike.

What was David to do?

What would we do?

David cried out to the Lord, and poured out his heart to God in worship. He reminded God of his promises and covenant and he surrendered his future to the Lord. 

Will we choose to respond to our tests with worship, faith, and prayer?

Like David, our lives are a sign to many people.

“Lord God, you are my strong refuge. You will never leave me nor forsake me. Thank you.”