Content

 1 Kings 15; 2 Chronicles 13-14; Philippians 4 

“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength…All the saints send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar’s household.”

Philippians 4:12, 13, 22

Paul’s witness in Rome, as a prisoner with initially some freedom of movement, included sharing the Gospel with the highest levels of Roman society. Caesar’s household heard the Gospel and some joined the Church. Later, the conditions of Paul’s imprisonment became harsh as Nero and others targeted the growing Church. Paul was as comfortable in chains in a Philippian jail cell, as he was ministering among the luxury and influential of Caesar’s inner circle. Wealth or poverty weren’t Paul’s focus, but rather, his focus was on Christ.

Are there any barriers in our witness to the Gospel?

Do we avoid poverty or wealth because we have taken our eyes off of the Lord who gives us strength and eternal perspective?

In what ways is Jesus inviting us into contentment this day?

“Lord Jesus, you are my joy and strength and reason to live. I pray for the households I will influence today, for your glory.”