Willful Sin and God’s Mercy

1 Kings 20-21; 2 Chronicles 17; Colossians 3 


“’I am going to bring disaster on you. I will consume your descendants and cut off from Ahab every last male in Israel – slave or free.’…When Ahab heard these words, he tore his clothes, put on sackcloth and fasted. He lay in sackcloth and went around meekly. Then the Word of the Lord came to Elijah…’Have you noticed how Ahab has humbled himself before me?...I will not bring this disaster in his day…’”

1 Kings 21:21, 27-29

God’s kindness and mercy toward us are amazing! God exposed Ahab’s hidden sin and plot to murder Naboth, and there were consequences for that sin. There isn’t an area of our lives that God doesn’t see. No one can hide from God. The consequence of sin is death. Yet, the good news of the Gospel is that in his mercy toward us, God sent his Son Jesus to die for our sin - in our place. That’s mercy! Ahab’s repentance for his willful sin of murder got God’s attention, and so will our prayers of repentance. God extends grace to the humble, but the proud he knows at a distance. Ahab’s wickedness, followed by his repentance and humility exposed both the justice and the love of God.

On this day, will we, too, humble ourselves before God this and choose repentance?

“Lord Jesus, you have been so merciful toward me. I humble myself before you and trust your forgiveness and mercy. Keep me from willful sin, for your glory.”