God Holds the Pillars

2 Kings 20; Isaiah 38,39; Psalms 75; 1 Peter 2 


“We give thanks to you, O God,…You say, ‘I choose the appointed time; it is I who judge uprightly. When the earth and all its people quake, it is I who hold its pillars firm. To the arrogant I say, ‘Boast no more,’…”

Psalm 75:1-4

When violence, political unrest, economic uncertainty, or crises shake our world, how do God’s people respond?

We give thanks to God, for who he is, remembering that it is God alone who holds the pillars of the earth. It is God who restrains evil. It is also God who opposes the proud and makes them drink his cup of judgment. When God allows shaking in our lives or in our society, we must humble ourselves in worship and acknowledge that he holds our lives in his hand. The arrogance and violence of our day will only increase the shaking we are experiencing. God will judge and is judging uprightly.

Will we respond in worship, or with outstretched necks?

“Lord God, I humble myself before you and repent for pride, for fear, and for rebellion. You alone hold my life and this world in your hands. You alone are to be worshipped and praised.”