What’s Worth It?

Hosea 10-12; Psalms 73; Hebrews 4 


“But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;…For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked…Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterword you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the Strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

Psalm 73:2, 3, 23-26

What is it that is worthy of our life’s energy and focus?

Asaph almost slipped in his walk with God as he considered the wealth, comfort, and self-indulgence of arrogant, wicked men who had no time for God. Asaph’s contemplation of the cost of discipleship versus the benefit of living for one’s self changed when he factored in eternity. More than that, Asaph remembered the value of God’s peace, presence, counsel, and comfort in his life.

What value can we place on inner peace with God?

Is it worth more than our next business deal, or a friendship?

Is walking with God, both now and for all eternity, worth everything?

Those who seek first Christ’s kingdom and his righteousness discover that he does add all things to them. God takes care of those who belong to him. He is our portion forever.

“Lord God, thank you for strengthening my heart today with your promises, peace, and presence. Keep my eyes on you, for your glory.”