God’s Unlikely Instrument of Salvation

Jeremiah 37-39; Psalms 79; 2 John


“While Jeremiah had been confined in the courtyard of the guard, the word of the Lord came to him: ‘Go and tell Ebed-Melech the Cushite…’ ’…I am about to fulfill my words against this city…But I will rescue you on that day…I will save you; you will not fall by the sword but will escape with your life, because you trust in me, declares the Lord!’”

Jeremiah 39:15-18

Ebed-Melech was a eunuch from an Egyptian background who worked in the palace. His advocacy for Jeremiah while Jeremiah had been thrown into the cistern of the king’s son saved Jeremiah’s life. Ebed-Melech, not a priest or Jewish leader, was God’s instrument of salvation for Jeremiah. Perhaps Jeremiah had befriended him during one of his visits to the king. Now it was Ebed-Melech who would be saved during the destruction of Jerusalem. Not one Jewish leader is mentioned as receiving the same salvation.

Who is God using and saving today in our circle of relationships, who doesn’t appear to qualify for God’s favor?

Perhaps we are like Ebed-Melech and must risk everything to advocate for someone in need.

Will we trust God to provide for us?

“Lord God, you are worthy of my faith and obedience. Show me when I’m called to risk in advocating for others, for your glory.”