Praise from God, or Men?

Nahum 1-3; John 5


“’By myself I can do nothing;…I seek not to please myself but him who sent me…I do not accept praise from men, but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. How can you believe if you accept praise from one another, yet make no effort to obtain the praise that comes from the only God?’”

John 5:30, 41-44

Whom we seek to please will determine our character and our future. Jesus rebuked the religious leaders of his day for seeking each other’s approval but not God’s approval. However, when we think we are receiving God’s approval by living up to the standards of other religious people, this gets confusing. Seeking God’s praise and honor begins with fully surrendering our sin and our will to him, being filled with his Spirit, and experiencing the miracle of new birth. Those who have been born again have a new Father. He is the Father who gave us of his Spirit so our spirit would live. We hear our Father’s love and praise through our spirit, and this replaces the desire to seek the praise and approval of others, or to make a name for ourselves. Our Father names us, loves us, and sends us to do his will.

“Father, you are my life and my source of counsel, praise, purpose, and meaning. My life is yours, for your glory.”