Inheritance

Daniel 7-8; Psalms 137; Luke 4


“…’I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. So if you worship me, it will be yours.’

‘The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor, he has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners…to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.’”

Luke 4:6, 7, 18, 19

In the face of Satan’s offer of all this world’s authority and glory, Jesus chose heaven’s authority and glory. Jesus chose to proclaim the holistic Gospel of kingdom shalom to every person bound by sin and Satan. The year of jubilee was announced with a blast of the ram’s horn, and required the canceling of debts, reversion of property sales to original owners, and the freedom of slaves. Jesus’ proclamation of the fulfillment of this Scripture in his kingdom pointed all of us to a better inheritance than Satan’s offer of self-indulgent authority and glory.

Which inheritance have we chosen?

Are we living for our glory, or that of our heavenly Father?

“Lord Jesus, I choose your Gospel of the kingdom as my inheritance, for your glory.”