The Path of Surrender and a Quiet Spirit

Lamentations 3-5; Revelations 15 

“I say to myself, ‘The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.’ The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. It is good for a man to bear the yoke while he is young.”

Lamentations 3:24-27

The Lord loves a quiet spirit which is the fruit of surrendering to him and taking his yoke upon us as we walk with him. By choosing the path of surrender rather than the path of striving in our own strength, we daily declare that the Lord is our portion. The path of surrender means that we wait on God’s timing, fully invest our hope in him, and keep our eyes on the Lord. The Lord has our full attention. Salvation comes from the Lord. This path of full and daily surrender means death to self as we take up our cross and follow Jesus. This is the path to life and great freedom.

Is our spirit quiet (Psalm 131)?

Is the Lord our portion, or are we still trying to provide for ourselves in our own strength?

With Jeremiah, we will say to ourselves, “Lord God, you are my portion. I will wait for you and on you with hope and I will take your yoke. Your burden is light. Thank you for rest for my soul.”