Daily Bread

 Job 23-24; Mark 11-12

“But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside. I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.”

Job 23:10-12

Job’s relationship with God was through the Holy Spirit, probably unaided except by Scripture. Job knew how to listen, obey, and sacrifice for the atonement of sin. 

How closely could we say we are following the promptings of God’s Spirit each day?

Job treasured the words he heard from God more than his daily food. Moses understood the same reality of God’s voice feeding his soul when he explained God’s refining purposes for Israel in the wilderness journey out of Egypt (Deuteronomy 8:3). As he resisted the devil during his wilderness testing, Jesus quoted this verse. 

When we are being refined, are we, too, valuing God’s Word to us more than our daily food?

“Father God, thank you for the gift of your Spirit to feed my soul and give me strength in the refining of my faith, for your glory.”