Losing Our Life

Matthew 8-10 


“Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”

Matthew 10:37-39

Christ is not calling us to a fulfilled life and happy, loving family. While that might become the fruit of our discipleship choices, Jesus is calling his disciples to surrender family, education, and vocation to him.  We daily die to self and this world by our obedience and devotion to him. Those who “lose their life” for Christ’s sake, find life of a greater dimension. This new life of loving surrender to Jesus transforms all our family relationships, vocational goals, education, and service into worship-filled obedience to Christ. We can’t love both Christ and this world.

“Lord Jesus, I surrender all my relationships, commitments, and life to you in surrender and worship, for your glory.”