Named

Matthew 14-16

“Jesus replied, ‘Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.”

Matthew 16:17, 18

When we belong to our Father in heaven he has the privilege of giving us new names. Names which reflect our best contributions and how he sees us in his kingdom. At Pentecost, ‘Peter the Rock’ had the privilege of preaching the first public sermon to the Churches. He later participated in the dramatic healing of a crippled man at the temple. These were both foundational events in the life of the early Church. Peter’s name became prophetic as the rock became foundational to the growth of the Church.

What has God name us?

Do we know our best contribution in Christ’s kingdom?

We will need the clarity and confirmation of God’s perspective on our lives if we are to live on mission with him and face the forces of Hades. 

“Lord Jesus, you are my source and leader and the one who names me. Thank you for your confirmation and Word to me in the battle for your kingdom, for your glory.”