Traveller's’ Psalm

Psalms 121; Mark 9-10 


“I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth…The Lord will keep you from all harm – he will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.”

Psalm 121:1, 2, 7, 8

Rather than lift our eyes in trust to the high places, whether worship altars on mountain tops, or the sun, moon, and stars, the Maker of all things is watching over us. Travelers who would come and go would carry symbols of the powers they worshiped to ward off evil during their travels. This “Travelers’ Psalm” reminds us that superstition and fear can be replaced with worship of the Maker of heaven and earth. Five times this psalm reminds us that God has his eyes on us, the God who created all things watches over his covenant people. The Lord will keep us from all harm.

What do we trust in, both at home and away?

What powers are we lifting our eyes to?

Are we aware that God’s eyes are on us?

“Father God, my life is in your hands, the Maker of all things. Thank you that your eyes are on me, for your glory.”