Stop Doubting and Believe

John 19-21 


“So the other disciples told him, ‘We have seen the Lord!’ But he said to them, ‘Unless I see the nail marks on his hands…I will not believe it.’ A week later…Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, ‘Peace be with you!’ Then he said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here; see my hands…Stop doubting and believe.’ Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’”

John 20:25-28

Doubt and fear rob faith in our lives. Our scientific, materialistic, rationalistic, western worldview requires empirical proof to establish fact. John’s gospel was written as an eye witness account that we might believe in Christ. However, many like Thomas require personal proof of the reality of God in this world. The stories of healings, provision, protection, and faith in others are not enough. Jesus’ word to Thomas was direct, ‘Stop doubting and believe!’ We have a choice. 

Will we rebuke doubt and receive Christ’s peace this day?

Jesus promises to bless those who have not seen the evidence and yet believe. There is love and salvation for both Thomas and John in Christ’s kingdom.

“Lord Jesus, you are my Lord and King. My faith for salvation - and all things - is in you, for your glory.”