Bigger Barns

Genesis 29-30; Luke 12

“’Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.’ Jesus replied.’…Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions…I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones…’”

Luke 12:13, 15, 18

Jesus points out that there are many different kinds of greed. Even the seemingly reasonable rationale of storing away more resources for retirement (bigger barns) can be a form of greed. Jesus focused on the heart of the man’s request to force his brother to share the family inheritance.

What is at the heart of our ever increasing retirement barn strategies?

Once again, Jesus speaks to our heart when he says, “…do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear” (Luke 11:22). Worrying if we will have enough in our retirement can open the door to greed.

Will we trust the Lord and live with both good stewardship and generosity?

“Lord Jesus, you are my Source and my Provider. My trust is in you.”