Promised to be Fruitful

 Genesis 15-17; Luke 6 

“…so she said to Abram, ‘The Lord has kept me from having children. Go, sleep with my maid-servant; perhaps I can build a family through her.’…’No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations. I will make you very fruitful;…her name will be Sarah. I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her…’”

Genesis 16:2; 17:5, 6, 15, 16

Like Sarai, our Churches can feel the shame of not reproducing. This can cause us to desperately try to build a family through our own effort. God had a better plan for Abram, but it required surrender, patience, humility, and faith in the Word of the Lord. God’s promise to him, and to us, is that we will be very fruitful as we abide in him. Responding in faith to the Lord and his Word to us, changes our future and our identity. God changed Abram’s and Sarai’s names and he is still naming those he covenants with.

Will the Church receive God’s promises and his Word, and will we abide in him so his life and fruitfulness can be expressed in our lives and ministries?

“Almighty God, thank you that you promise that we will be fruitful as we abide in you. This day, I respond to you in faith, for your glory.”