Courage in the Storm

 Numbers 7; Psalms 23; Acts 27 

“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”

Psalm 23:4

“’But now I urge you to keep up your courage, because not one of you will be lost; only the ship will be destroyed.’”

Acts 27:22

Paul’s confidence in the storm was not in the ship, but in the Lord. He had walked with the Lord “through the valley of the shadow of death” before, and Paul knew the Lord had conquered death so there was nothing to fear. This confidence in the presence of the Lord and his Word gave courage and confidence to the other 276 people sailing on that ship. Our confidence today cannot be in our jobs, our bank accounts, or any other ship we are trusting to take us safely to port. Our confidence must be in the Lord. We all face stormy seas. Those whose confidence is in the Lord and his Word become a source of courage and strength for others when the storms of life come.

Where have we placed our confidence this day?

“Lord Jesus, you are my confidence and strength. I will not fear, for your glory.”