Covered

 Ruth 3-4; Psalms 64-65; 2 Corinthians 6 

“’Who are you?’ he asked. ‘I am your servant, Ruth,’ she said. ‘Spread the corner of your garment over me since you are a kinsman-redeemer.’”

Ruth 3:9

Ruth was a foreigner to the covenant of Israel. As a refugee she was vulnerable. As a woman and a widow she was even more vulnerable and exposed. Her request to Boaz was for covering and redemption. Boaz learned from his mother Rahab how the scarlet cord had redeemed her life and family. Boaz learned how his mother’s hope in the God of Israel was rewarded. He spread his garment over Ruth, because his mother and her family had found refuge and redemption under God’s covering. In Christ, we, too, have received redemption from sin. His blood has covered us, freed us, and protects us (Ezekiel 16:8). We who were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ, our Redeemer.

“Lord God, thank you for covering me with your salvation and presence. Thank you for redeeming me with your blood shed for me. Thank you that I am your child, for your glory.”