Fear’s Consequences

I Samuel 13; I Chronicles 2-3; 2 Corinthians 12


“…Saul remained at Gilgal, and all the troops with him were quaking with fear…’I thought, ‘Now the Philistines will come down against me at Gilgal, and I have not sought the Lord’s favor.’ So I felt compelled to offer the burnt offering.’”

1 Samuel 13:7, 12

Saul’s fear-based decision to offer a sacrifice before the arrival of Samuel cost him the leadership of Israel. Fear leads to impulsive decisions that don’t serve God’s people well.

In what ways are we allowing fear to influence our thoughts and decisions?

In Saul’s mind, the need to protect his men was colored by his rationalization of fear. Saul was convinced that disobedience to Samuel’s command to wait seven days was justified. Later, Saul justified other sins because pride kept him from humbling himself and finding freedom. Fear and pride are a deadly combination in the life of any leader and follower of Christ.

“Lord Jesus, you are my example of humility and obedience. Your Spirit is my Counselor. I pray for freedom from fear and pride.”