Our Refuge

1 Samuel 23; Psalms 31, 54; Matthew 7 


“Save me, O God, by your name; vindicate me by your might…Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.”

Psalm 54:1, 4

David’s betrayal at the hands of the Ziphites and the prophetic word that the residents of Keilah, a city he had just rescued from all the Philistines, would also betray him, left David feeling vulnerable and exposed. David couldn’t trust the people with whom he lived and even helped.

Who could David trust?

Our window into David’s ‘prayer journal’ and ‘songbook’ gives us a clear picture of David’s faith and full dependency on the Lord. David trusted that the Lord, who had called and anointed him, would also defend him. 

Do we believe the same thing?

The name of the Lord Almighty was David’s primary weapon as he defeated Goliath. God’s name was also David’s shelter and refuge.

What is our refuge?

Are we responding to betrayal as David did?

“Lord Almighty, you are my deliverer, defender, and strong tower. I place my life in your hands again this day, for your glory.”