Rest in the Battle

1 Samuel 28-29; Psalms 109; Matthew 11


“’From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it…Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Matthew 11:12, 29, 30

Is the mission of the kingdom of heaven a battle or a rest?

Jesus says it is both. The struggle against spiritual powers is a battle, and the price, as John the Baptist experienced, is our lives. Paul’s testimony was “I die daily” (1 Corinthians 15:31). This call to die to sin and self is at the heart of discipleship in the way of Jesus. In the spiritual battle, Jesus offers us his rest. The rest of Christ is the result of our surrender and his living presence filling us with peace. When we willingly take the yoke of obedience and humility, we find that Jesus daily carries our burdens.

“Lord Jesus, you have won the victory. Thank you for your peace and freedom and rest, for your glory.”