The Hands of God

 2 Samuel 4-5; Psalms 139; Matthew 16 

“You hem me in – behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me…If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast…For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.”

Psalm 139:5, 9, 10, 13

The same hands which knit us together in our mother’s womb now rest on our lives as we offer ourselves to the Lord. There are no more important hands into which we can entrust our lives. Even when we feel hemmed in and constrained, we can trust the hands of God to guide our life and our circumstances for his greater good in us and in this world. David’s season of life on the run from Saul tested his faith in God’s sovereignty over his life. God used the hands of Samuel to pour anointing oil over David’s head, but that didn’t deliver him from testing and spiritual warfare. The hand of God which formed us continues to shape and form us, through testing, refining, anointing, and guidance, into the image of Christ for God’s eternal glory.

Whose hands are we in?

“Lord, into your hands I commit my life, for your glory.”