When My Spirit Grows Faint

 2 Samuel 2; 1 Chronicles 11; Psalms 142; Matthew 14 

“I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble. When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who know my way…”

Psalm 142:2, 3

“When Jesus heard what had happened, he withdrew by boat privately to a solitary place…When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them and healed their sick.”

Matthew 14:13, 14

Where do we go, or how do we respond when our “spirit grows faint” within us?

David wrote those words in a cave when he was fleeing from Saul. He poured out his complaint before God and acknowledged again that God knew his way and had his eyes on him.

In his discipleship journey of obedience to the Father’s will, did Jesus’ spirit ever grow faint within him? 

Upon hearing of his cousin John’s execution, Jesus withdrew by boat to a solitary place. He wanted to be alone with his Father. Yet in this vulnerable moment, a crowd of needy people clamored for his attention.

How do we respond to the needs of others when our spirit is faint?

Jesus’ miracles of feeding the 5,000 and walking on water followed this experience of sorrow. Jesus had found new strength of spirit from his Father…and so can we!

“Lord, strengthen my spirit, for your glory.”