Processing Emotions

2 Samuel 24; 1 Chronicles 21; Psalms. 30; 1 Thessalonians 2 


“You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.”

Psalm 30:11, 12

Who or what can move us from wailing to dancing, from sackcloth to joy, from silence to singing?

Where are we processing our pain and regrets?

Is it working?

David found relief and freedom in processing death, failure, and pain in the presence of the Lord. Time spent in the presence of God anchored David’s life and was his reference point no matter what challenges he was facing. It was David’s spiritual sensitivity which freed him to wail over sin and its consequences, and also to find forgiveness and the joy of redemption.

How healthy are we?

Are we capable of feeling deep pain and sorrow and also joy and celebration?

God has given us our emotions as a gift, and he invites us to share them with him.

“Lord God, heal my emotions and free me to live fully ‘present’, for your glory.”