Eating God’s Word

Jeremiah 13-15; John 15


“’When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear your name, O Lord Almighty.’”

Jeremiah 15:16

“’If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.’”

John 15:7, 8

There is a direct connection between fruitfulness in Christ’s kingdom and consuming his Word. When we listen to the Word and obey it, we are remaining in full dependence on Christ. Jeremiah’s testimony was of God’s Word to him producing joy and delight in his life once he ‘ate’ the words. To eat God’s Word, we must chew on it, meditate on it, digest it, and receive its nutrients. This vital dependence on Jesus, the living Word, is how we remain in Christ and bear much fruit.

What are we eating today, and is it satisfying us?

“Lord Jesus, thank you for speaking this day and feeding my soul with your Word, for your glory.”